Commission Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions for Commissioned Artworks
Okay, I need to put terms in, in the event of a worst case scenario. Please bear with me. Most commissions go well and we have a healthy, productive and meaningful time together.
- I reserve the right to decline commissions.
- I will provide a painting based on the specifications provided, with my interpretation on the concept.
- A standard commission includes: full detail photo replication, ¾” deep canvas, varnished with a backup of the image stored on my computer.
To secure your spot in line, a non-refundable 50% deposit of the full price of the piece is required. Work will not begin without this deposit.
- Upon delivery of the final product, the remaining 50% is due.
- If you do not pay, I reserve the right to resell or destroy the painting.
- All sales are final
- Price is calculated by the size in square inches of the painting, the thickness of the canvas and the detail of the painting.
- Most commissions fall into the standard pricing which includes: a ¾” canvas, varnishing and gift wrap.
- Examples of high detailed pieces are available at request.
- Due to the complex world of art, I cannot guarantee satisfaction. I do, however, make reasonable attempts to capture what you are looking for in each piece.
- I provide up to 3 edits, without additional charge.
- Large scale reworkings or a large amount of small edits may be subject to additional charge.
- I provide work in progress photos, at my discretion, and opportunities to provide feedback. These are normally helpful, productive times for our working relationship.
- In the event that our working relationship is unable to be healthy and continue, I reserve the right to end the commission. If it is fully paid, I will deliver the commission as it stands. If it is unpaid, I reserve the right to do with it as I please.
- As a result of being a new parent, I am unable to guarantee delivery dates. I try my best, but sometimes life happens.
- For most commissions, your input is incredibly important. You provide reference photos, descriptions, edits and more. Clear, concise, effective communication is incredibly important for our working relationship.
- The quality of the reference photo(s) has a direct impact on the finished piece. Poor reference photos make work harder, good reference photos make work easier. I always do my best with what I can.
- Delays in communication between us will result in delays in the delivery of the final piece.
- I will ask for your input in naming the painting, but it is not necessary that you provide a name.
- Painting may be varnished or not varnished, as per your request. Varnishing adds an extra 4-7 days of drying time. Varnishing is included in the price.
- Large paintings (over 16 x 20") will be wired for your hanging convenience.
- All commissions are scanned and saved for promotional and archival purposes. In the event that a painting is destroyed, these digital files give us the ability to reproduce it for you, additional fees may apply.
- I own the copyright on the image in perpetuity. I have the right to share reproduce the image without consulting you. However, I typically only reproduce the image if it's generic enough to do so.
- You may ask me to hold off on sharing the image on social media if it is a surprise.
- You may not sell images of my paintings without expressed written permission.
By commissioning a painting from Erin Stagg, you agree to these terms and conditions.