Terms and Conditions for Commissioned Artworks
Okay, I need to put terms in, in the event of a worst case scenario. Please bear with me. The vast majority of commissions go well and we have a healthy, productive and meaningful time together. However, based on past experience I need you to read and agree to these terms and conditions.
When you are done, please fill out the form, link at the bottom of the page.
- I reserve the right to decline commissions.
- I will provide a painting based on the specifications provided, with my interpretation on the concept.
To secure your spot in line, a non-refundable 50% deposit of the full price of the piece is required. Work will not begin without this deposit.
- Before delivery of the final product, the remaining 50% is due.
- If you do not pay, I reserve the right to resell or destroy the painting.
- All sales are final
- Your spot in line may not be at the front. Commissions work at a first-come. first serve basis.
- Price is calculated by the size in square inches of the painting, the thickness of the canvas and the detail of the painting.
- Price includes: varnishing, wrapping and a digital backup of the painting stored on Erin's computer.
- Shipping included - tracked shipping.
- Commissions are never refundable, under any circumstances.
- 8 x 10 - $180
- 11 x 14 - $345
- 12 x 16 - $435
- 16 x 20 - $720
- for additional sizes, contact us
- 8 x 8 - $320
- 10 x 10 - $375
- 12 x 12 - $445
- 14 x 14 - $530
- 16 x 16 - $630
- 18 x 18 - $740
- Due to the complex world of art (and people), I cannot guarantee satisfaction. I do, however, make reasonable attempts to capture what you are looking for in each piece.
- In relevant cases I will provide a sketch which may be approved/rejected.
- I provide work in progress photos, at my discretion, as an opportunity to provide feedback. These are normally helpful, productive times for our working relationship.
- I provide up to 3 edits (1 at the time of the sketch, the second during the work in progress and the 3rd when the painting is finished and before it is varnished) without additional charge.
- Additional edits will be subject to additional fees. ($50 for each additional sketch edit, $100 for a new sketch, $100 for each additional edit after the painting is finished. Any edits after varnishing will be subject to fees of a minimum of $500).
- Large scale reworkings may be rejected or subject to additional fees to be calculated on a case by case basis.
- In the event that our working relationship is unable to be healthy and continue, I reserve the right to end the commission. If it is fully paid, I will deliver the commission as it stands.
- If you have failed to pay the final fee 1 month after finishing or in circumstances where communication has broken down, I reserve the right to do with it as I please.
- As a result of being a new parent, I am unable to guarantee delivery dates. I try my best, but sometimes life happens.
- I work on commissions as I can. By hiring me for a commission, you do not own my time.
- For most commissions, your input is incredibly important. You provide reference photos, descriptions, edits and more. Clear, concise, effective communication is incredibly important for our working relationship.
- Changes to the commission that were not agreed to at the beginning of the relationship may be subject to additional costs.
- The quality of the reference photo(s) has a direct impact on the finished piece. Poor reference photos make work harder, good reference photos make work easier.
- Delays in communication between us will result in delays in the delivery of the final piece.
- I will ask for your input in naming the painting, but it is not necessary that you provide a name.
- Drums are a sacred item. Working on them, owning them and playing them is a joyous honour. As a person working on your drum I guarantee that I am 1) sober 2) working only from a place of good medicine 3) smudging at crucial points during the work.
- If you are providing a drum, you understand that any changes may be irreversible and you do not hold Erin liable for any damage, perceived or otherwise.
- Drums will not be replaced by Erin.
- Drum pricing includes a digital sketch beforehand with 1 edit included. Erasing paint off of a drum is fickle and may not be achievable. All important edits should be done before paint touches the drum.
- A second edit is provided during the work-in-progress stage. This is a time to ensure that the work is progressing in the right direction. Please be aware that photos do not adequately communicate colour.
- A third edit is provided at the end of the commission. This is a time to ensure all necessary features are present.
- Any extra edits in any stage may be subject to additional fees on a case-by-case basis.
- Products: Erin uses specific leather-safe products in all stages. First cleanse the drum, flexible leather-safe paint, and seals the drum first with an acrylic based sealant meant for leather and second with an archival oil-based sealant. The oil based sealant is archival and removable. It is hand-safe, you may still warm up your drum with your hands. However, this final sealant must be reapplied every 6mo to a year.
- Reapplication of the oil-based sealant is free for 3 years. You may order some for your own use through Erin or pay annually for it to be reapplied.
- Painting may be varnished or not varnished, as per your request. Varnishing adds an extra 4-7 days of drying time. Varnishing is included in the price.
- Large paintings (over 16 x 20") will be wired for your hanging convenience.
- All commissions are scanned and saved for promotional and archival purposes. In the event that a painting is destroyed, these digital files give us the ability to reproduce it for you, additional fees may apply.
- I own the copyright on the image in perpetuity. I have the right to share reproduce the image without consulting you. However, I typically only reproduce the image if it's generic enough to do so.
- You may ask me to hold off on sharing the image on social media if it is a surprise.
- You may not reproduce images of my paintings without expressed written permission.
By commissioning a painting from Erin Stagg, you agree to these terms and conditions.